Hi Joachim

This is roughly what we did  ~15 months ago:

1. make a copy of the MySQL DB (postgresdb in your case)

2. copy the complete galaxy directory to the new server (make sure you
   keep the path)

3. point the new galaxy server to the DB copy and start it (different
   port number)
   -> due to the higher Python version, news eggs were downloaded
   -> all python code was re-compiled

4. test the new server (while the old one is still in use)

5. stop the old server

6. rsync  ~/galaxy_dist/database/files/

7. point the new galaxy server to the 'live' DB and re-start it

Obviously, this is won't be a 'fresh' Galaxy install.

If you want to start from a new download of the galaxy distribution, the amount of work (eg: merging of configuration files) depends on the existing modifications you have made. If you have only a few, the copy/merge of the: universe_wsgi.ini and tool_conf.xml files plus a copy of the database/ and tools/ directory might be sufficient...or you need to look into the tool-data/ directory, the datatypes_conf.xml file, etc, etc....but you can test all this while the new server is already running in parallel to the current server.

Regards, Hans