As far as I know, there is no reference to the path of the datafiles in the 'database' (no matter whether it is SQLite, MySQL, or PostgreSQL)
- may be the Galaxy developers can confirm this?

If you wanna be on the safe side, work with a sym link, and don't change the entry in the 'universe_wsgi.ini' file.

Hans-Rudolf

On 06/04/2014 09:14 AM, neil.burd...@csiro.au wrote:
Thanks Hans-Rudolf,
                                would this also be the same case for PostgreSQL
database? i.e. we can move the database/files somewhere else , change
universe_wsg.ini and all would be good? There is no link from the database to
where the flat files are stored?

cheers
Neil
From: Hans-Rudolf Hotz [h...@fmi.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:11 PM
To: Burdett, Neil (CCI, Herston - RBWH)
Subject: Re: [galaxy-dev] Move galaxy/database (SQLite) to a new location

Hi Neil

First a little comment: I strongly suggest to switch over to PostgreSQL.

Keep in mind that the 'database' (in your case the SQLite database) does
not contain any data. The 'database' contains just the meta data and the
users data which is required to run Galaxy.

"#file_path = database/files" is the location where the data sets are
stored. You can copy the contents of "~/database/files/ to a new
location and make the appropriate changes in 'universe_wsgi.ini' or set
up a sym link.

I hope this helps/clarifies

Regards, Hans-Rudolf