Hi Shaun,

Yes, I can well remember Lindows. It was a good concept in that the
developers used Linux for the base OS, and developed a commercial
Windows emulator for it to run most commercial Windows applications on
it. Even though it was a good idea in concept there were a number of
problems with it.

First, they chose to use the name Lindows, which was too close to
Windows, and Microsoft sued over copyright infringement. In the end
they had to drop the name and call it Linspire. The Windows emulation
also was found to be a copyright violation of some kind thus although
Linspire is still around the lawsuit basically stripped the OS of
whatever it had going for it as an alternative to Windows.

Another key factor that lead to its downfall is the fact the company
tried to essentially create a commercial version of Linux. For that
reason they failed to grab a significant portion of the Linux market
who by and large were already running free distributions. It is hard
to convince people who are running free and open source software that
they should buy it because it happens to have a better Windows
emulator in it. Most Linux users didn't have or use Windows software
so the built-in emulator was just an unnecessary added expense that
they didn't need. Alot of Windows users didn't buy it, because Windows
comes prepackaged with their computer. Thus Lindows would have been an
additional expense for little benefit.

In short, a good idea, but one that really didn't appeal to either the
Linux or Windows markets. Being sued by Microsoft only insured an
early demise for the product, and relegated it to oddball status.
Accessibility issues aside Lindspire, as it is known now, has a very
small market share with the mainstream computer user base.

As far as your points about Linux. Its true that its biggest support
came out of servers and mainframes, but it has slowly but surely been
creeping into the mainstream PC user base. Certain distributions like
Ubuntu were designed primarily for home users, average PC users, and
try to compete equally with Windows on a equal footing. While they lag
behind both Windows and Mac OS in market shares Ubuntu has been
gaining ground slowly, and has gotten support from companies like Del
who offer it on their laptops and desktop units for home or business
machines. I might point out that it isn't just the "poor and helpless"
as you call them who use Linux, but a fair cross section of the
computer base.

I suppose the main group of Linux users has been and seems to be
techies. People like myself who do a lot of software design, who likes
modifying software, and enjoys the freedom to play with the software
some while also using it on a day today basis as a solid and reliable
operating system. However, while being a large group of users they are
by no means the only group that matters.

Another group, one suited to this discussion, is gamers. Linux
actually has a number of gamers who use the OS for gaming. While the
majority of those games aren't accessible for the blind and low vision
gamers they are satisfactory for mainstream PC gamers who use Linux.
There are a number of emulators available for Linux such as SNES9x for
playing Super NES games, Stella for playing Atari 2600 games, Dosemu
for playing Dos games, etc which all serve to turn Linux into a
virtual console for a variety of platforms. As a result Linux is often
chosen as a gaming platform because of the number of free emulators
available as well as free and open source games like Flight Gear,
Frets on Fire, Lin City, Freeciv, and a number of other free games
which are popular with some mainstream Linux gamers.

Finally, there is the home and office sort of people who want a home
office type setup, but don't want to put out a lot of money to do
that. As a home office solution Linux excels at that task because it
is designed for any sort of business weather it is small or large. If
someone doesn't want to fork over $500 or more for Microsoft Office
Professional Linux offers a choice between Libre Office and Open
Office which are both free. Instead of paying for Microsoft Outlook
which comes with MS Office Pro or which can be purchased as a stand
alone Linux comes with Evolution which is a similar product for a
fraction of the cost. I could probably point out other cost savings,
but the fact is if someone is equipping a home or office for business
software they can and do save money by using a Linux based solution.
Its not just the "poor and helpless" but people with legitimate
business needs who use it as well.

Same could be said for students. It costs a lot of money to go to
college, especially if someone is paying their own way, and purchasing
a lot of Windows software isn't a real option for them. I have helped
college students get alternatives to Windows products without them
paying a dime for the software. Things like Open Office are a god send
to people who can't afford Microsoft's office suite. Just assuming
Linux users are poor or helpless really minimizes and stigmatizes
people who choose a less expensive alternative for perfectly good
reasons.

Now, what you choose to use and why is your business. It isn't my
position to tell you differently. However, let us dispense with the
stereotyping and attitudes that Linux users are all poor or geek's.
Most aren't and have perfectly good reasons for walking away from the
Windows base.