Hi Shaun,

That's where we disagree. While audio is somewhat limited in what it
can do I think there is quite a lot more that could be done in audio
than is currently being done for various reasons. Most of them I
suspect simply come down to the lack of skills by the developers
currently developing games, or a lack of time to put into making a
more complex audio environment.

For example, a lot more can be done with DSP effects to make a much
more dramatic environment. If one is approaching a wall one can
increase the amount of echo on the footsteps to make it obvious that
there is a wall there without running into it first. Another thing is
using low high pass filters to muffle sounds in other rooms or behind
walls, doors, etc. There are plenty of things like that which could
add to and enhance the audio environment, but I haven't seen much work
in that area.

Another thing is simply adding more dimensions of movement to the game
play. I think all would agree a 2d side-scroller like Mysteries of the
Ancients offers more advantages than a more 1d side-scroller like
Super Liam because there are ropes to climb up/down, staircases to
navigate, things to jump over, and there is a lot more that can be
done with a full 2d environment than say a 1d environment. Likewise a
3d environment has more opportunities than 1d or 2d.

My point being while audio will always be somewhat limited I think
there are areas that developers can work on to improve it and develop
more games on par with what mainstream gamers play.