Hi Michael,

You have a good point, but the problem with your logic is that you are
over estimating how much money can be made off of audio games. Paid
updates or not there isn't a lot of money to be made off of selling
audio games.

The first problem is financial. The majority of blind customers all
over the world are unemployed and are living of government benefits.
Here in the USA, for example, the unemployment rate among the blind is
roughly 82% and most of those are living off of SSI and SSDI. The
average blind citizen in the USA makes $721 USD per month in SSI
benefits. After you take out the cost of rent, food, bus/taxi fair,
electricity, etc there is precious little left to spend on games.
Without a lot of money to spend on games it is unlikely that a lot of
blind gamers will buy the game a developer is selling even if they
want it.

The second big issue is a very small minority within a small minority.
I have done some research and at any given time there only seems to be
about 2,000 blind computer users downloading and playing audio games.
That estimation may be conservative, but assuming each and every one
of them paid for the game it still wouldn't be enough for a audio game
developer to live off of.  There aren't enough paying customers to
make developing a game like you suggest worthwhile financially.

Cheers!