Mud connector lists a bunch of muds support sound include Dune, based on the sci-fi novels by Frank Herbert.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016, dark wrote:

Hi Paul.

Vipmud is good, I like it myself. As I said you can use the free version no problems, though i did buy it to support the program and david greenwood, plus, the msp support for sounds is used by one or two muds, albeit not many, ---- only classic six dragons, materiamagica and medeivia. Screen reader settings in mud usually disabled ascii maps and directions, spammy text that pops up a little too often, occasions when text colour is used to indicate stuff, and usually reduce the amount of lines for repetitive things like battles to just a few to make it easier to catch up.

Discworld mud I had trouble with, it was a detailed game with good descriptions from the books, but I just found it hard to find anything to really do in the game, there's a hole list of features but no real quests or anything and it was just depressing to run into people I knew from the books like Moist von lipwig or corporal knobs and not be able to interact with them, but there are people who sware by it.

Alteraeon is exceptional as a game, however the problem is the MushZ client is so good, it's the one instance I don't use Vip for a mud sinse it effectively turns the game into a full blow audio rpg with background music, sounds instead of text for common things like battles and spells, one key press action keys etc. Of course text is still sent and needs reading, but it's not really an accurate depiction of what a mud is like. Lots of people will play Alteraeon with the MushZ pack and then assume every mudh should have full background sounds and such and be disappointed when they find muds are basically text games, then again playing Alteraeon without the mushZ pack would be missing out or a massive amount of atmosphere and fun and the great work done by the devs of both MushZ and Alteraeon in supporting it.

So, I'd suggest playing Alteraeon with MushZ just as a great experience of a fantastic audio online rpg, quite independent of most other muds, and then trying something like aardwolf, Materiamagica, classic six dragons, Clok or discworld (there are some descriptions on audiogames.net), as an intro to muds.

Aardwolf particularly has a very good mud bnewbie school and lots of handy shortcuts and directions to make things friendly, as well as an interesting distribution of mobs and quests per area and lots of helpful players.

On the other hand, it's up to you, I actually need to get back on Alteraeon myself and attempt to srot out my character.

All the best,