Hi Claudio,
As for problem 1 that is an easy one to solve. Go to
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
and download Java JDK 1.6 Update 5. That is the official commandline
tools for Java from Sun. Once you download it write me off list at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
or on the developers list at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
and I will give you detailed instructions as how to get the JDK setup,
installed, and get the environment variables set so the command prompt
in XP will allow you to issue commands to the JDK directly.
As for your second problem Java can do much more than make Java servlets
and as service side applications. In this instance you need to keep in
mind the time and age of that Java book. At the time that book was
written Java servlets and cross platform server side applications were
in high demand. The book was attempting to target that group of developers.
However, over the passed 5 years since that book was written Java has
become much more popular and has been used to write a very large range
of software titles including games, word processors, spreadsheet
applications, front ends for databases, email clients, web browsers,
etc. The point here is don't cut the language short just because the
code examples in that book specifically target more web site and servlet
type applications.
The idea is that the book I emailed you off list is an introduction to
Java. You need to learn to walk before you can run. You need to know the
core language before you can write guess the number or another such
simple game.