well aden if you can count 2 laser turrets as weapons.
They are weapons but your armour is not much.
I have not really much combat exprience which is why I have never stayed in the
game for long at all.
To get a real strong ship you need cash.
And unless you curior or play taxi for ages and ages you can't get much cash.
I suppose hauling astoroids, but really you need to move outside local space
and I would probably get lost.
thethis is a good place to buy weapons if you can aford it all.