Hi,
They don't have exactly a spy/scout character, but you can sort of
create one. i always send an expendable trooper like a footman or
archer in to enemy held territories to gage what they got. If the poor
guy gets attacked by an army of archers, footmen, or knights then I
know what to send into their territories when launching my invasion.
Its always helpful to employ a few expendable guys who act as scouting
parties.