Hi Tom,
I suppose the best reason I can give for not switching to Gnome is that
I find the command line quite powerful enough.  I have Emacspeak
installed on this machine, which lets me send email, read Usenet news,
etc.  Speakup lets me play all the linux compatible games I want.
edbrowse and Emacs/w3 provide web browsers, LaTeX is my word/math
processor.
All this being the case, I might be persuaded to install Gnome over here
if MOTA came out for it.  This is a Slackware system, which doesn't make
Gnome easily available by default, but I can get it if I want it.
Hope this explaination makes sense.
Best,
Zack.

--
Hope is as necessary to a living person as oxygen or water.