Hi Michael,
That's actually one of the reasons I have taken to playing interactive
fiction type games on linux using Speakup. Since many VI users, such
as those who run Vinux, still very much use the console and console
applications with speakup you can load up your favorite IF title in
frotz and it is not all that different than the Dos days.  On Windows
with the development of screen readers like Jaws, Window-eyes, and on
linux the Orca screen reader just don't handle console applications as
well as the console screen readers do. Dos screen readers are a tthing
of the past on Windows systems, but on Linux there is Yasr and Speakup
to access the console. That's why Linux users are still able to access
scare and frotz more or less like the old Dos days.

Cheers!