Hi,
First, Don't start in the fighting practice area. Start with the regular game.
The fighting practice should probably have been named survival mode, or
something similar. The regular game itself actually does a good job of
explaining what is going on and the descriptions of enemies are given as
they're introduced. Secondly, turn off the music. There is a static sound near
the center of each level which seems to be just an ambiance noise. Everything
else in the enemies. Basically, use the arrow keys to move around in the area,
the page up and page down keys do not work for me, and either get a line of
sight to the enemy, which can be determined both by the stereo position and by
the look feature, and use the control plus directional to fire at the enemy, or
get as close as you can, drop a mine, and run.
HTH,
Karl