On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 04:40:43pm +0200, Iustin Pop wrote:
> > Things I'd like to see moving forwards in terms of features are
> > primarily better support for generic instances.
> >
> > I am using ganeti to run a clients office, they have a nice pair of
> > Dell R210 II's and 8 VM's, all of different flavours, windows,
> > linux, bsd etc so I have always used the instance+image but I've
> > never really felt like its the way its meant to be used, integrating
> > instance+image into the base distro would probably help with this.

Hello Jake,

Regarding support for generic instances, please take a look at
snf-image:

https://code.grnet.gr/projects/snf-image/wiki

It's a Ganeti OS definition we have developed, which tries to simplify
the deployment of Ganeti instances from predefined images. We've been
running it for some time now in production (Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/Windows
instances), and it has proven quite helpful.

It has a number of features [untrusted image deployment in volatile VM,
setting hostname/passwords, file injection], it'd be great if you could
give it a try and give any feedback you may have.

Vangelis