On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 03:11:23pm +0100, Guido Trotter wrote:
> > As far as migration is concerned, as mentioned in the first mail, the
> > 'info version' monitor command should be used and -incoming kvm process in
> > target node should use the exact machine version like the running process.
> > If
> > this is not possible, then the migration should be aborted, as it will most
> > probably fail due to differennt virtual hardware versions (try-and-error via
> > 'info migrate' monitor command seems to be not always right and might fail
> > silently).
> >
> > How should we proceed?
> >

> Ack then. LGTM on this if the "migration" case is supported
> automatically, and if it's possible not to specify a version to just
> use the last one.

I have started a thread about this issue on the qemu mailing list as
well, perhaps I should have Cc:ed ganeti-devel, please find it here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2013-01/msg01305.html

The discussion in the thread confirms it's best to specify the "-M"
agrument to KVM on migrations, to ensure the receiving process is
configured with a machine type that matches that of the source KVM.

Vangelis.