Comment #9 on issue 994 by darius.s...@rkt-online.com: Support Setting the UUID of a ganeti instance explicitly add instance creation time
https://code.google.com/p/ganeti/issues/detail?id=994

Hello,

I use ganeti since 2.11 and have also discovered this "uuid" problem with the xen-hvm hypervisor. I work for a translation agency where we use a software called "across". Since release 6.0 the developers implemented a licensing tool called "codemeter". This tool checks the system UUID and refuses the services to start if the UUID changes.

In issue 1102 I have introduced a simple patch (like currently for KVM) which simply adds the instance UUID as system UUID to the guest. This patch is still not adopted.

In issue 1105 I have also added configurable usbdevices and keymap support for xen-hvm. This patch also did not get adopted.

Now lets try this one...
The first patch "constants-add-uuid.patch" adds the uuid constant to kvm and xen-hvm.
For xen-hvm it also adds configurable usbdevices, keymap and vga.
Configurable usbdevices is also very important to me as we have another software called "datev" which uses an usb-dongle for licensing.

The second patch "kvm-add-uuid.patch" changes kvm_cmd.extend to prefer "hvp[constants.HV_UUID]" over "instance.uuid" when available.

The third patch "xen-hvm-add-keymap+uuid+vga+usbdevice.patch" changes config.write to also prefer "hvp[constants.HV_UUID]" over "instance.uuid". It also adds hvp support for usbdevices, keymap and vga.

The fourth patch "write-uuid-to-export-config.patch" adds "uuid" to config.ini when instance gets exported through gnt-backup.

The fourth patch makes it possible to import an exported instance and "keep" its original uuid. Of cource this can be changed after import with "gnt-instance modify -H uuid='' INSTANCE" to use the new instance uuid created during import.

"gnt-backup import" is cool and useful for instance moves to other clusters or other storages but not really useful for "restore".

Currently I'm working on some patches that allow a "real" restore of an instance with gnt-backup.

For example...
gnt-backup restore INSTANCE (takes no other args)

To make this work these four patches are essential.
All four patches apply cleanly to ganeti stable-2.15 git branch but should also work with older versions.

Please consider these patches for upstream.
They do not change the behavior of already deployed clusters but improve xen-hvm and import.

Kind regards
Darius

Attachments:
        constants-add-uuid.patch  1.6 KB
        kvm-add-uuid.patch  834 bytes
        xen-hvm-add-keymap+uuid+vga+usbdevice.patch  1.4 KB
        write-uuid-to-export-config.patch  859 bytes