On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 02:34:27PM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> What would you recommend for finding as and ld?

as and ld are defined by gcc, including in most cases the full path
where they are meant to be located.  to see what was used for your version of
gcc try either :

  $ gcc -v
  $ gcc -dumpspecs

> Currently, I have to
> insert /opt/csw/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/bin in $PATH, but is there a more
> elegent way of forcing configure to find the GNU tools from
> Blastwave.org, instead of using /usr/ucb/ld?

setting the PATH is usually the recommended way (by Sun) to locate
the linker you will be using as it is different depending on the build
environment you are targeting.

I'd had no problems using /usr/ccs/bin/ld (from SUNWtoo) but the obsolete
/usr/ucb/ld (for SunOS 4.x compatibility) is definitely not what you want and
should be avoided (better if removed from your PATH).

adding the compiler to your PATH is also recommended (by Sun) so you don't
have to use "CC" and as an example in Solaris 10 (which comes with gcc) I
usually use :

  PATH=/usr/sfw/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/bin

Carlo