I've created a new branch in git for 3.3 releases:

https://github.com/ganglia/monitor-core/branches/release/3.3

daniel@lt2:~/ws/ganglia/ganglia-git$ git pull
Already up-to-date.
daniel@lt2:~/ws/ganglia/ganglia-git$ git branch release/3.3
daniel@lt2:~/ws/ganglia/ganglia-git$ git branch
* master
   release/3.3
daniel@lt2:~/ws/ganglia/ganglia-git$ git push origin release/3.3
Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
To ssh://g...@github.com/ganglia/monitor-core.git
  * [new branch]      release/3.3 -> release/3.3

Further 3.3.x releases should be made from the branch, and tags should
be made on the branch (I've updated the release procedure with comments
about this)

Any bug fixes or new features should continue to go on master, and then
they can be selectively merged into the release branch if necessary.

I would propose that the merge policy is not too restrictive: while a
tarball is in release candidate status (e.g. 3.3.5 at present), only the
release manager should merge/backport from master.  At all other times,
any committer can merge bug fixes onto the release branch.

I'd also propose the same for the web repo, but I haven't created any
branch there yet as I'd like to get feedback on the strategy first