It becomes problematic when the two "/debian" subdirs diverge and then
you may end up with official debian packages owning a different set of
files or having different install locations than ones built directly
from upstream. Other packages which depend on or work in concert with
packages that provide "ganglia-web" may break. And the support of two
different sources of debian packages claiming to provide "ganglia-web"
may be more than anyone really wants to deal with.

-Dave