Hi Ben!

On Tuesday, 28 March 2006 21:38, Ben Hartshorne wrote:
> Does it statically or dynamically link against those binaries?  In
> other words, do I only need the ganglia src on the machine on which I
> compile JVMProbe, or will I need it to run?

        It's static except for glibc. It's possible to link with shared libs (I
do it here in my small project) but my guess was that it would be
easier to deploy a static binary. Then again I might be wrong. ;)

        So it should work on all hosts as long as they have the same version of
glibc. No need to have the ganglia source too.

> host.  Perhaps you could include an option to include the name of the
> process it's watching as part of the metric name?  For example, when
> watching java, use JVM_java_foo as the metric name.  If you then also
> wanted to watch abcApp on the same host, it would report those metrics
> as JVM_abcApp_foo and not collide namespace.

        I didn't thought about using this to monitor different applications,
but it's a good idea. I see two ways of doing this:
        a) running the probe multiple times
        b) using the same probe for different application.

        Option b) I guess would be less intrusive, so it's my favourite. I
would just drop the JVM_ prefix and use a appname_*. And on the command
line one would be able to define several application to monitor.
Something like using several -n appname.

> ahhh.  Much better.  I don't know why it didn't work without the '-n'
> flag.

        My stupid mistake. :( An older include file was included on the
distribution. Now it's corrected.

> Many Many thanks for writing this module!  though I give you errors
> only, the fact is that it works for me, nearly out of the box, and is
> successfully reporting JVM stats within my framework!  :)

        I appreciate your thanks. And correcting errors is really very
important to me. I want this to be as usuable and stable as possible.

                Miguel Tavares
--

"Until they become conscious they will never rebel,
 and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious."

        - George Orwell's 1984 -