After I ran out of  things to try, I went digging through apache's
error logs and found this gem:

PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted
(tried to allocate 78 bytes) in /var/www/ganglia/ganglia.php on line
110

The (RedHat?) default of 8 MB can be changed in the main php.ini file
(usually in /etc) or you can override it in your web server
configuration file. I have broken out the settings for ganglia into a
separate apache config file, mine looks like this:

#Ganglia
Alias /ganglia /var/www/ganglia

<Directory "/var/www/ganglia">
    Options None