Nicholes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jesse Becker"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Brad Nicholes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>    I think that with the removal of the srclib directory from the SVN trunk
>> repository, we have completed everything that we thought needed to be done
>> before creating the 3.1.x stable branch.  The only other thing that I know
> of
>> is testing to make sure that an older 3.0.x gmetad can consume the XML data
>> from a newer 3.1.x gmond.  Has anybody had a chance to test this?
>>
>> Were we going to try and make gmond-3.1.x backwards compatable with
>> gmond-3.0.x?
>>

> Only at the cluster level.  In other words, the XML that is produced by a
> newer gmond should be consumable by an older gmetad and vice-versa.  This
> would allow users to upgrade from 3.0.x to 3.1.x on a cluster by cluster
> basis.  All nodes within a cluster would have to upgrade to gmond 3.1.x at
> the same time.  But the whole grid would not have to upgrade.  Theoretically,
> this should already work. We just need to test it to make sure.

So I just set up two clusters here.  One that is running pure 3.0.x and another
that is running pure 3.1.x with their respective web frontends reporting the
cluster data.  Then I crossed the two clusters by declaring new data_sources in
the gmeta.conf file of each gmetad/web frontend servers.  I can hit the web
frontend of either server and view the RRD graphs for both clusters.  In other
words, the 3.1.x gmetad and frontend is able to acquire data from a 3.0.x
cluster and a 3.0.x gmetad and frontend is able to acquire data from 3.1.x
cluster.  So the cluster by cluster migration from 3.0.x to 3.1.x should work
just fine.

Brad