>>> On 4/11/2008 at 1:53 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Witham, Timothy D" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> So I'd like to ask the Ganglia community -- do you guys find Ganglia
>>to be a resource hog?
>
> No.  But once I had a couple hundred gmetad processes on a 2GB server.
> When the size of active processes and RRD files in tmpfs exceeds
> physical memory, the server begins swapping and can't keep up with the
> needed polling intervals.  Buy more memory or use more gmetad servers to
> solve this.  :-)
>
> And I don't really like that the XML is huge and mostly redundant and
> gets even larger in 3.1.  All gmetad needs is name and value to do
> correct metric rollups.  All units and other attributes appear to be
> ignored, except by the frontend.  It would be cool if, for example, we
> could define what a "load_one" is in one place, instead of thousands of
> machines reporting the same exact text every few seconds which seems
> like a waste of time and bandwidth.  I understand the benefits of XML,
> but perhaps the standard static attributes could be defined in gmetad
> instead of gmond.  This could reduce the XML size considerably and make
> it more efficient.  But this would require a big change; just an idea to
> think about...

I agree that the size of the XML could be reduced in most cases, however it
would be impractical to define the metrics in gmeta.  The reason why is because
of the new metric pluggable modules in 3.1.  Since gmond can be extended by
plugging in metric modules, there would be no way for gmeta to know about every
metric definition that could possibly exist.  With the pluggable interface
there is no longer just a fixed set of metrics.  Any gmond could be gathering
metrics about anything.

However during the developers meeting in Feb. we talked about an idea where the
XML would only contain deltas rather than always sending everything.  Somebody
just needs to figure out how to make it work.

Brad

Brad