>>> On 5/13/2008 at 11:34 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jeremy
LaTrasse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I changed our configs over to unicast, which as seemingly eliminated most of
> our problems, except one egregious one, and the log files are still being
> filled with
>
>  illegal attempt to update using time 1210742641 when last update time is
> 1210742641 (minimum one second step)
>
> The problem seems to be that the gmetad is not able to get new information
> from headnodes.
>
> In the case of 1210742641, the node had not reported to the headnode for 54
> sec, and therefore rrdtool on the gmetad could not be expected to update a
> file with the same information.
>
> Output from headnodes for that node confirms.
>
> <HOST NAME="HOSTNAME.twitter.com" IP="X.X.X.X" REPORTED="1210742641" TN="54"
> TMAX="20" DMAX="86400" LOCATION="1" GMOND_STARTED="1210742641">
>
> My question now is, why would gmond not be reporting for 54 sec?  The load
> on the machines that are taking longer that 20 sec to report consistently is
> lower than others in the cluster who report far more frequently.

Have you run gmond on that particular node in debug mode to verify that it is
gathering and sending data correctly?  Have you hit that node directly on port
8649 to make sure that it is generating correct XML output?  Have you run your
head node gmond in debug mode to verify that it is only receiving packets from
the problem node every 54 seconds?  Just trying to narrow down whether it is a
problem with the node gmond, the head node gmond or gmetad or something
in-between.

> Next, how can I change HOST TMAX if necessary? I've read the gmond.conf man
> page, the wiki, etc... seems like only location is configurable for host in
> the gmond.conf.

You can't.  For some reason TMAX is hardcoded to 20.  I'm not sure why.  The
only way to change it would be to change the source and rebuild gmond.

Brad