>>> On 6/5/2008 at 4:48 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bernard Li"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Brad:
>
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Brad Nicholes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Done.  Hopefully this will be a good guide for somebody that is getting
> started with Python modules.  We still need to write an equivalent C module
> doc.
>
> Thanks for the updates.
>
> BTW I am curious about the 'modules' section in the .pyconf -- is it
> really necessary?  My Python module has been running fine without that
> section (it only has the 'collection_group section').
>
> I also have any question regarding the metric_init parameters.  Is
> 'format' really necessary since we could probably determine it from
> the 'value_type' -- i.e. value_type = uint, format = %u; value_type =
> string, format = %s, etc.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bernard

The modules sections is one of those things that is becoming more important as
functionality grows.  Initially for a python metric module the modules section
was really unnecessary.  The name directive is really not used if there are no
module parameters, however their is some validation taking place against the
language directive.  Also if your module requires any kind of configuration
parameters, the only way to specify the parameters is through a modules
section.  So even though your python module might run fine without a modules
section today, it is probably a good idea to get used to adding it to the
pyconf file just to make sure that you don't run into problems in the future.

Brad