>>> On 6/10/2008 at 4:45 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Place
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The ganglia wish list at
> http://ganglia.wiki.sourceforge.net/ganglia_wish-list lists the
> following gmetad todo:
>
> * Name RRD directories based on UUID generated by client gmond
>
> Can anybody report on the status of this feature? It would be extremely
> useful in our implementation.

Nothing has been done for this feature in the current implementation of gmetad.
 However, the rewrite of gmetad in python will be able to accommodate this type
of feature.  What I mean by "accommodate" is that the gmetad-python version has
implemented a pluggable interface and uses an RRD plug in to write metric data
to RRD files.  This means that rather than having the RRD functionality built
into gmetad itself, the RRD functionality can be plugged and replaced.  That
would mean that for most people, they would probably want to use the standard
RRD plugin.  For you or anybody else that wanted it, you could replace the
standard RRD plugin with one that has been modified to create directories using
the UUID rather than host names.  As far as gathering a UUID from a host, this
can be done already by simply implementing a UUID metric module.  Then when the
gmetad-python RRD storage module sees the UUID metric for a host, that is what
it would use for the directory name.

So the short answer is that no direct work has been done for this wish list
item.  However, it can be solved using Ganglia 3.1 and the new gmetad-python
rewrite.

Brad