I too have been bangin my head on this for a few weeks.  After much googling
i cannot seem to find the answer, so i hope someone (developer maybe) can
help.

I was successfully using ganglia 2.5 and 3.0.x.  At some point i upgraded to
3.1.x and things went sour.  I've even tried to revert back to a known
working condition to no avail.  So here's my current setup.

GMETAD 3.1.4 running under suse 11.1 ppc.  Using a basic gmetad.conf file
monitoring itself (localhost) for troubleshooting purposes:
---snip from /etc/gmetad.conf ---
data_source "my cluster" localhost gpipnim01
data_source "sap_app" gpiptcpeap02
---snip-----
XML on localhost seems fine.  I can telnet to localhost 8469 and get proper
results.  FWIW :
 <GANGLIA_XML VERSION="3.1.4" SOURCE="gmond">

RRD's are updating properly in /var/lib/ganglia/rrds/

gmond (on localhost) in debug mode is sending updates (obviously since RRD's
are being created).  gmond -m shows modules are loaded.

Web frontend:
When I hit the webpage i get "
Ganglia cannot find a data source. Is gmond running?"

No webpage or data is shown. Currently the web version is
ganglia-web-3.1.0-1, but i've tried 3.1.4 and older with the same results.
The debug output from gmetad shows:

server_thread() received request "/?filter=summary" from 127.0.0.1
Found subtree / and filter=summary

It seems that occasionally i can get the webpage to display briefly after
initial startup of gmetad and gmond.

PHP memory is set to 1024 in php.ini
--snip from conf.php--
# Gmetad-webfrontend version. Used to check for updates.
#
include_once "./version.php";

#
# The name of the directory in "./templates" which contains the
# templates that you want to use. Templates are like a skin for the
# site that can alter its look and feel.
#
$template_name = "default";

#
# If you installed gmetad in a directory other than the default
# make sure you change it here.
#

# Where gmetad stores the rrd archives.
$gmetad_root = "/var/lib/ganglia";
$rrds = "$gmetad_root/rrds";

# Leave this alone if rrdtool is installed in $gmetad_root,
# otherwise, change it if it is installed elsewhere (like /usr/bin)
define("RRDTOOL", "/usr/bin/rrdtool");

# Location for modular-graph files.
$graphdir='./graph.d';
#
# If you want to grab data from a different ganglia source specify it here.
# Although, it would be strange to alter the IP since the Round-Robin
# databases need to be local to be read.
#
$ganglia_ip = "127.0.0.1";
$ganglia_port = 8652;

# Old-style names.
$gmetad_ip = $ganglia_ip;
$gmetad_port = $ganglia_port;

--snip-----
I'd be happy to post add'l config info if it helps/requested.  I was trying
to not to post TMI.

Thanks,
Ryan