On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:16:28PM +0000, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> I'm looking at extending the gmetad.conf format, while still making sure
> that it can read the existing config files.

adding a new configuration option would be the easiest way to prevent
any backward incompatible change which will then force this feature
to be 3.2+ only.

> My goal is to allow different sets of RRAs for different sources, while
> making sure the existing file format remains valid.

why do you want to have this? what is the use case for having different
metric storage frequencies per cluster and why can't be done by having
instead independent gmetad?

if you are talking about different metric storage frequencies per metric
as it seems to be implied later (and which is a feature long in the "wishlist")
then wouldn't be safe to assume you want that storage for that metric regardless
of source?, if that is the case it will simplify the implementation and will
only require something like "RRAs_template" as shown in "d" and not need
"a", "b", or "c" at all (or at least not as part of the first implementation).

currently in "data_source" the polling interval is optional and so the same
could be done with the template to apply in the long run, but complicating
the configuration parser, for IMHO no really good reason.

using a script is definitely interesting because of the flexibility it allows
for, but as mentioned before a problem because of the additional forking
required and also problematic because it will keep part of the logic outside
gmetad.

Carlo