Blauvelt <w...@transpect.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've compiled ganglia-3.1.7 on CentOS 5.5. The main thing I'm trying to
> monitor on our cluster is load on individual CPU cores. It looks like the
> included multicpu module should do that. I can't find any complete
> decription of how to set that up. What should I be looking at?

In the multicpu.conf file there is a note that says that additional metric
definitions should be added to the .conf file for each discovered cpu on the
system.  You can get all of the cpu definitions for a system by running gmond
with a -m parameter.  The output of gmond -m will be a list of all of the
discovered metrics.  Each metric that begins with "multicpu_" will need to be
defined as a metric in the multicpu.conf file.  Then start gmond normally and
it should start monitoring all of the cpu metrics for each discovered cpu.

NOTE: the next question is usually, if gmond -m can discover the metrics, why
do we have to specifically define them as well in the .conf file?  The answer
to this question has to do with how metrics are enabled through gmond rather
than just discovered.  There have been previous list discussions about this
topic.

Brad