Hi all,

   I am trying to get Ganglia run on Ubuntu instance. I built the version 3.1.7
from source. I compiled the source and libs were installed in
/etc/ganglia/lib64/ganglia/
I used the command: ./configure --prefix=/etc/ganglia --with-gmetad
--sysconfdir=/etc/ganglia && make && make install , and everything went fine.
Ichanged the GMOND in gmond/gmond.init to GMOND=/etc/ganglia/sbin/gmond, and
changed GMETAD in gmetad/gmetad.init to GMETAD=/etc/ganglia/sbin/gmetad

1. I have copied the gmond/gmond.init from the build directory to
/etc/rc.d/init.d/gmond and when I start gmond using the command
/etc/rc.d/init.d/gmond start
I get the following error.
.: 9: Can't open /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
Also I copied gmetad/gmetad.init to /etc/rc.d/init.d/gmetad and starting it
also fails with the above error. What is expected for
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions ? by these scripts.

When I try something like "gmond -d 1" to start the gmond in foreground it
gives a message that :
    [PYTHON] Can't open the python module path
/etc/ganglia/lib64/ganglia/python_modules. Module python_module failed to
initialize.

2. Also I am running an EC2 instance, so while making the changes in the conf
files,
     In the gmetad.conf I made foll changes:
     a. data_source "MyCluster" 'internalIP of the instance' ( or  should I add
external IP of the instance?)
      b. What should I set for User gmetad will setuid to (defaults to
"nobody"). My rrd directory is at /var/lib/ganglia/rrds and is owned by
"root".So
            should I set the user here as "root"?

     In the gmond.conf I have the foll:
    cluster {
          name = "MyCluster"
         owner = "MyOwner"
          latlong = "unspecified"
          url = "unspecified"}
     host {  location = "unspecified"}    (again what should go in here???)
     udp_send_channel {
          mcast_join = 239.2.11.71
          port = 8649
          ttl = 1}
    udp_recv_channel {
          mcast_join = 239.2.11.71
          port = 8649
          bind = 239.2.11.71}
    tcp_accept_channel {
       port = 8649}

All other conf paremeters are unchanged.
Please help me with this.

Thanks,
Mike