Cheers,

We maintain several cluster on EC2 for customers that we monitor with
Ganglia. We automatically boot and configure instances on EC2 and let
them report to a Ganglia cluster per customer.

We often see hosts come up and report in Ganglia with weired stats, see

https://skitch.com/jweiss/rrt18/cluster
https://skitch.com/jweiss/rrt1w/load
https://skitch.com/jweiss/rrt1a/cpu

On the host view we only see static values and on the cluster overview
the number of cores/processes alternates. When I manually restart
gmond on the instance, the stats are fixed again. No changes in the
configuration, just a restart of the local gmond. You can see the
effect of the restart at the end in the screenshots.

We use Ganglia on Ubuntu 9.10:
ubu...@mimas:~$ dpkg -l | grep ganglia
ii  ganglia-monitor                   3.1.2-2
 cluster system monitoring daemon
ii  libganglia1                       3.1.2-2
 ganglia cluster system monitor toolkit (shar

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,
Jonathan

--