Hi all.  We're working to provide some access controls for the new features in
the upcoming 2.0 release of Ganglia Web.  This will largely replace the
existing 'private clusters' functionality.  I'd like to hear from folks who are
currently using this feature, to ensure that our replacement continues to meet
your needs.

Currently:
 - You may define clusters as private, and configure a password which is used
by anyone who wants to view that cluster.
 - There is a 'controlroom' context which grants access to all clusters to
anyone who knows the password.

Upcoming:
 - Private clusters are still hidden from guests.
 - Admin users can view & edit all clusters (public & private).  I think this
will replace the 'controlroom' context.
 - Apache will provide authentication.  Every user who will have elevated
privileges will need a username & password.  The private_clusters config file
will be removed.

A configuration file in Ganglia Web will determine which clusters are private,
and which users may access them.  Access rules are configurable, so I think
just about any permission scheme can be implemented.  Intermediate levels of
access (between guest and admin) should be easy to implement.

The big change is going from '1 password per cluster' to '1 password per user',
and moving authentication from Ganglia to Apache.  If you still want to have '1
password per cluster', you could just create a single 'user' for each of your
private clusters, and share this amongst all the people who should be able to
access the private cluster.

Looking forward to your feedback!

best,
alex