Greetings,

I've been attempting to get 'ganglia-3.1.7' 'gmond' working correctly on
a Nexenta NCP 3.0.1 host, having compiled matters from source.

The scenario is that the Nexenta hosts's 'gmond' would multi-cast to our
collector 'gmond' on another host. This collector host already correctly
receives 'gmond' multicast traffic from several other machines.

The Nexenta machine's 'gmond.conf' contains the following:

  udp_send_channel {
    bind_hostname = yes
    mcast_join = 239.aa.bb.cc
    mcast_if = aggr3
    port = 8649
    ttl = 1
  }

  udp_recv_channel {
    mcast_join = 239.aa.bb.cc
    mcast_if = aggr3
    port = 8649
    bind = 239.aa.bb.cc
  }

  tcp_accept_channel {
    bind = 10.xx.yy.zz
    port = 8649
  }

Now if the on Collector host if I try:

        nc 10.xx.yy.zz 8649

then all seems well: I get plenty of sensible data back, e.g. grepping
out 'GMOND_STARTED':

  <!ATTLIST HOST GMOND_STARTED CDATA #IMPLIED>
  <HOST NAME="nxxx.xxx.xxx" IP="10.xx.yy.zz" REPORTED="1303917141"
TN="19" TMAX="20" DMAX="0" LOCATION="xxxx" GMOND_STARTED="1303917141">

I've verified that multicast traffic is passing between the two hosts,
by 'snoop'-ing and 'tcpdump'-ing.

However the *multicast* packets received by the Collector from the
Nexenta machine seem to be incorrect or deficient:

        nc 127.0.0.1 8651 | less

[...]
  <HOST NAME="nxxx.xxx.xxx" IP="10.xx.yy.zz" REPORTED="1303917322"
TN="15" TMAX="20" DMAX="0" LOCATION="unspecified" GMOND_STARTED="0">
  </HOST>
[...]

There are never any METRICs reported for the Nexenta host, and of course
the graphs are broken with 'gmond_started' stuck at the beginning of the
epoch!

I've tried twiddling the 'udp_send_channel/udp_recv_channel' options,
running at debug level 99, 'truss'-ing, etc, but have to admit that I'm
stuck now: I'd be grateful if someone could suggest a way forward!

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards

[NG]

- --