Arpita,

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the ttl is your issue here. The
ttl (or Time-To-Live) is the number of hops across switches your
packet will survive. In your case, if it is more than one switch in
the chain the packet will get dropped. I tend to raise it to 15-20 if
it is going across my network alone, and to 35 if it is going across
the internet.

--
Adam Tygart
Beocat Sysadmin