According to the code it only omits "lo*" and "bond*" interfaces but sums
data of all other interfaces and returns it as metric. I think you are the
victim of large counters on 32bit OS. Does gmond collect interface data
correctly if you bring it down and up again which resets it's counters?

If that is the case, here is the patch I made which fixes mentioned issue:
http://source.a2o.si/patches/ganglia-3.1.7-net_if_long_long.diff

b.

PS: If you have bridged interfaces, here is another patch which causes
ganglia to omit br* interfaces in order not to cause double packet and byte
counts:
http://source.a2o.si/patches/ganglia-3.1.7-ignore_br.diff