On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 07:22:36PM +0000, Aidan Wong wrote:
>That one node that recently had the running away memory leak was sending
>253 metrics.  I'm using unicast sending all metrics to a specific host
>where I have configured the "udp_send_channel" with the "host" and "port"
>attributes defined.

IIRC plugins are loaded once and then run within gmond's address space.
so I guess plugins could be causing memory leaks.
which plugins are you using? they alloc/free as they should?

we haven't notived any leaks (certainly no serious leaks) across our
~1800 gmonds using 3.2.0, but we aren't sending that many metrics
either - just using most of the standard stuff plus modified diskstat,
cputemp python plugins, and with a bunch of other metrics spoof'd from
chassis and switches (more cpu cycles for HPC job this way).
we are using multicast.
all except a few gmonds (not included below) are senders only.

         %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS  COMMAND
min       0.0  0.0  70972  1864 /usr/sbin/gmond
median    0.0  0.0  70972  3392 /usr/sbin/gmond
ave       0.0  0.0  70977  3240 /usr/sbin/gmond
max       0.0  0.0  71104  4720 /usr/sbin/gmond

those with the larger RSS have been rebooted recently and haven't yet
had unused pages pushed out by vm pressure.

cheers,
robin
--
Dr Robin Humble, HPC Systems Analyst, NCI National Facility