Hi,

there is a way to query gmond headnode for any data, I use it, it works
well.

My question is: is there a way to query local gmond instance for local
data, without it being a headnone?

Further explanation of context:
*Currently* data is being collected by gmetad, which is connecting to
headnodes to retreive it. Non-headnodes use unicast to send data to
headnodes. Works quite fine.
On top of this, there is monitoring with nagios which connects to gmetad
and queries it for various data.
There are two drawbacks to this mode:
- as number of nodes increase, load increases on gmetad and monitoring
host, linearly
- there are three service dependencies, local gmond, headnode gmond and
gmetad. If any of these fail, metric ceases to be monitored and results in
warning. This dependency setup is a nightmare to manage, especially if you
have to manage more than one cluster of servers, which has its own
headnodes and its own gmetad server.

*I would like to replace current setup* with NRPE call + local gmond query
ON the machine being monitored, to shift the work to the machine being
monitored (except for TCP connection to NRPE, of course, but this is
lightweight compared to previous solution). This also eases the dependency
management in nagios, because the only dependencies are local to the
monitored machine - nrpe and gmond.

Thank you,
b.