We've got about 100 machines running on AWS EC2s, with Ganglia for
monitoring.  Because we are on Amazon, we can't use multicast, so the
architecture we have is each cluster has a Bastion machine, and each other
machine in the cluster has gmond send its' data to the bastion, which
gmetad then queries.  All standard and sensible and it works just fine.

Except that occasionally, when I redeploy the machines in a cluster (but
not the bastion - that stays running through this operation), just one of
the machines will not send data through to the bastion or something.  All I
can say for sure is that gmond is running OK on the problem machine, there
are no error logs on the problem machine, the bastion or the gmetad
machine, but the machine doesn't appear in gmetad.  If I go into the
problem machine and restart gmond, it reconnects just fine and appears in
gmetad.

Which machine has the error is random - it's not a particular type of
machine or anything.  Because the error only shows up rarely, and only at
deployment time, I can't really turn on debug_level to investigate.

Also, some of the configuration values in gmond.conf are filled in when the
userdata is run.  I've edited /etc/init.d/ganglia-monitor so that it starts
up immediately after the userdata has run, just in case that matters.

Any ideas?

Sam