Hi Brad,
What I have been experimenting with is a configuration where I install the
host sflow agent on my hypervisor which in my case is KVM.   This allows me
to see both hypervisor and virtual machine statistics in ganglia with just
this single agent installed. I am looking to avoid the overhead of
installing either ganglia agents or host sflow agents on all of the virtual
machines. At the same time, I want to understand how the complete system
looks from the hypervisor perspective.   See Chapter 8 of the "Monitoring
with Ganglia" book, table 8-2, to get an idea of available metrics.
However, in my experience it is nevertheless possible to install ganglia or
host sflow agents on the virtual machines directly and have statistics
reported to ganglia in that manner, if you have a reason to do it.  In my
environment, I use strictly unicast.

Greg