Another thing to try is to switch over to using TCP for rrdcached connections since that avoids contention on the rrdcached socket and should avoid some of the permissions issues. For example I am using following options

OPTS=" -t 60 -w 180 -z 180 -F -s ganglia -m 664 -l 127.0.0.1:9998 -s ganglia -m 777 -P FLUSH,STATS,HELP -l unix:/tmp/rrdcached.limited.sock -b /var/lib/ganglia/rrds -B -p /var/lib/ganglia/rrdcached.pid

In the gmetad.conf you can then add

rrdcached_address 127.0.0.1:9998

Vladimir