From: Suzanne Belongia [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 6:06 PM
To: Paul Mundt; Poverty Roundtable
Subject: RE: next meeting 9-19-02
I'm wondering if we are certain about the statement that GAPS (or whatever
we call ourselves) doesn't provide services.  I say that because the work
groups (or committees, or whatever we call them) that are/will be getting
things done -- the expansion of meals,etc. at Bethany, the website, the
mentoring/relationship building, and whatever else may be possible -- all
exist as part of GAPS and are/will be led, most likely, or at least at
first, by folks who are at the GAPS table.  Isn't then, this work being done
in the name of GAPS?  In addition, without a stable place to gather,
strategize and be accountable to, I wonder how effective some initiatives
would end up being.

For example, the meals/services at Bethany.  It seems to me that since that
expansion started with GAPS that we ought to be there if Bethany needs
support with extra food, laundry supplies, volunteers, whatever.
If, then, the faith communities would be organized to provide that support,
we would do that through and because of the connection to GAPS, wouldn't we?

I wouldn't want to turn GAPS into a task force (with a short-term organizing
goal) rather than a group with a continuing mission.  Perhaps quarterly
meetings are all we'd need to keep the ball rolling, but it seems to me that
there needs to be some sort of constancy to this work and that the various
work groups would be tied together by the commonality of GAPS membership.
Further, I would like to see the various work groups truly tied together and
playing off each other, which would only be possible with consistent
leadership from GAPS.