If you and or your staff and consumers can make it -- please do.....

-----Original Message-----
From: Dwayne Voegeli
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 9:04 AM
To: All County Users
Subject: Important Mtg Friday: Please Come

Hello County Staff Members,

My name is Dwayne Voegeli and I am one of the new  County Commissioners.  I
want to talk with you about some very important topics.

Today,  Tuesday, Feb. 18th,  Governor Pawlenty will present his proposal to
balance the 4.2 billion dollar state budget deficit.

His proposal will include some very dramatic and possibly drastic cuts for
local governments like counties, cities, and others.

They include cuts that might mean:

1.  Possible program cuts.

2.  Possible frozen salaries and retirement benefits.

3.  And even possible staff layoffs.

Those are all ugly realities that I would rather not talk about but they are
real possibilities that we need to start getting serious about.

This upcoming Friday, February 21st, an important meeting will take place.
I hope you can come to the meeting.

=====

State Legislator's Listening Session

Friday, Feb. 21st

4:30 - 6:00 p.m.

County Board Room of the County Government Center

======

All County staff, County clients, and the public are welcome and encouraged
to attend.

Our four area State Legislators will be in town to talk to us about the
massive cuts that Governor Pawlenty will have proposed this Tuesday, Feb.
18th.  Gene Pelowski, Steve Sviggum, Bob Kierlin, and Steve Murphy have all
said they will be there.

Like most of you know, this year's State budget problem is huge and they
will probably pass the buck on to counties, cities, and school districts.

Please come to the meeting to both listen to what the legislators have to
say but also to ask them tough questions about these very important topics.
They need to know what the realities are like down here on the front lines.
We need to provide them with concrete and compelling examples of how their
numbers and percentages translate into human faces and real programs.  They
need to see the face of their proposed budget cuts so they can make more
informed decisions.

The meeting will take place at 4:30 in the County Board room of the County
Government Building.  I know it's the absolute worst time to have a meeting.
I too am exhausted after a long week of work and would much rather be at
home with my two small children and wife but these are really important
issues that we need to become more informed and involved with.  We had to
adjust our time to fit the Legislator's schedules.

I fear that the public, and even some of our elected officials, have
forgotten and under appreciated how important local government is and how
hard you work.  Please come and help remind them.  Let's not take this lying
down, let's do something about it.  If we get actively involved in the
budget debate, we may be able to affect the final outcome.

In the mean time, I encourage you write or call our area representatives and
tell them about your concerns and ideas.  If you e-mail them, always ask
them to get back to you to insure they received and heard your message.  I
will include their contact information at the bottom of this message.

Lastly.  This is my first direct message to you.  I'm sorry it's about such
a bleak topic.  I wish I could be sharing good news with you.

I'm also sorry that I do not yet know many of you but I'm looking forward to
changing that.  The more County staff I meet, the more impressed I am by how
well qualified and hard working you all are.  Anyone who has negative images
of government workers knows nothing about this staff.

:->

Please feel free to contact me anytime by e-mail or phone.  I'm very anxious
to listen to your ideas, feedback, and your concerns.  My phone number is
453-9012

Please consider coming to the meeting this Friday.

Thank you for your time and for how hard you work.

Dwayne Voegeli

Phone:  453-9012

E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

===============

State Legislator's Contact Information:

1.  Representative Gene Pelowski
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
295 State Office Building
100  Constitution Ave.
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55155
(651) 296-8637

2.  Senator Bob Kierlin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
127 State Office Building
100 Constitution Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55155-1206
(651) 296-5649

3.  Representative Steve Sviggum (R) 28B
463 State Office Building
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55155
(651) 296-2273
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

4.  Senator Steve Murphy
306 State Capitol
St. Paul, MN 55155
Capitol phone: (651) 296-4264
E-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Home: Red Wing
PO Box 40 55066
Home phone: (651) 385-7649

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and