Greetings, all.  Those of you who were at this morning's Poverty Roundtable
meeting know that I promised to send you information about a federal
legislative initiative regarding affordable housing.  This info is pasted
below.  Please consider contacting Rep. Gutknecht about this bill.  Since a
similar one will be introduced soon in the Senate (if it hasn't already)
please also consider contacting Sens. Coleman and Dayton about this issue.
Encourage these guys to be co-sponsors -- we need their support and they
need to know that this issue is important to us.

Thanks!
Suzanne Belongia

********************************

National Housing Trust Fund Legislation Introduced in House of
Representatives
A bill to create a National Housing Trust Fund (NHTF) has been introduced in
the House of Representatives by Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Robert Simmons
(R-CT), and Barbara Lee (D-CA). The bill, which has attracted 179 House
cosponsors, would establish the NHTF as a dedicated source of funding for
the purpose of producing, preserving, and rehabilitating 1,500,000 units of
affordable housing over the next decade.
According to the legislative proposal, excess revenues from Ginnie Mae and
the Federal Housing Administration’s mortgage insurance fund would be
deposited into the NHTF. Grants to states and local jurisdictions would be
made from the fund by formula, taking into account the need for affordable
housing in each jurisdiction. The legislation would ensure that spending
from the fund would target families with very low incomes: 75 percent of the
allocated funds must be spent on housing for families with incomes less than
30 percent of median family income, or that are living on a minimum wage
salary.

It is expected that a similar bill will be introduced soon in the Senate.