It is 2AM in Kolkata and I am writing out of great concern about a phone
that I just received from my partner. He is in Delhi and has been attending
a gay party that was organised in a farmhouse by Aseem and Girish, just
outside of the Badarpur Border in Delhi. There are atleast 200 people who
are attending the party.

At the pool of this farmhouse, in front of scores of people my partner was
approached by a young guy of about 22-23 who was wearing an orange T-shirt,
who asked him he was the same person who was seen on TV after the High Court
Judgement on 377. When my partner confirmed this, he proceeded to say that
he was from some islamic group which opposes the judgement and thereafter
slash my partner in the arm and leg with a piece of broken glass. My partner
said he is bleeding profusely and that after slashing him the person and two
other ran away in full sight of everyone...

Even though he was bleeeding badly, my partner contated the organisers of
the party immideately, whose main concern at that moment was apparentlly to
hush things so that no alarm is raised. They did not do anything to either
apprehend the offenders or to provide any kind of first aid even They just
asked my partner to leave immideately and see a doctor.

Right now, my BF is in a car with another friend being taken to the
hospital. I am very worried. I asked him if he wanted to file a police
complaint, but he is too scared to do so. The fact that I am not there at
this moment and am in Kolkata is also making him more scared. I will update
you as soon as I get news of what the doctor has said. I will try and
convince him to file a police report soon....

But this raises two issue of concern.

First the opposition is now infiltrating gay spaces and even these spaces
are not safe. I fear that such attacks may recur, so everyone needs to be
very careful.

The second pertains to the social responsibility of organisers of such
parties. They should not be so blinded by their economic and money making
concerns that they give a total go by to all aspects of safety. This is
exactly what they did by first not cheking the antecedents of those coming
in (anyone who pays up is welcome), nor did they help by trying to keep
things quiet and neither trying to catch the culprit nor help the injured.

I urge all to be safe, especially in spaces where many gays come. I urge
social responsibility be exhibited by the organisers beyond mere profit
motives. I will keep you all updated. Right now I am worried sick...

Best,
Aditya Bondyopadhyay