dear not-so-sweet angel,
as a taxpaying citizen of this country, every person has a right to demand from the govt the things for his/her well-being. and the same thing madam lata mangeshkar has done. she has just supported the cause of the residents of her locality alongwith her neighbours. what is wrong in that ? don't you see protests against new dams, mega-highways ? why ? because your so called development is harming their very existance. if unfortunately the flyover does take place,you will be using it to drive recklessly adding to  pollution and increasing the decibel levels of the surrounding.what is wrong if the affected citizens raise their objection ? lesser mortels like rahul gandhi are given big banglows much beyond their entitlement with taxpayers money, but you will be silent on it.   just think of creating a small constrution that affects his peace and you will be barred from doing so. and nobody will ever say anything about it... then why is it  with dear lata mangeshkar ?

she has created joy through her work for millions of people in this country. she deserves much much better treatment. insted you are making her fight for such petty reasons like a flyover ? it is shame on her millions of fans. they should raise their voice and support her. and it is shame on our govt that such a 'gem' of our country has just to think of leaving this country for such a reason. and mind well, she has not yet left the country. just expressed her anguish in a desparate moment. you are bestowing flowers on NRIs like amartya sen who has nothing to do with this country or made no big contribution to this country. or you wont talk about amitabh bachchan who already enjoys an NRI status. then why this hallabaloo for her alone ? her social contribution is far greater than many others. she has helped many a needy- personally (as was quoted by the beneficieries ) and  collectively by organising fund raising shows. so she deserves a much better treatment.

and to say about my friend's comments on the "Matching tune for tune", it would only be fair to say that Lata mangeshkar is Lata mangeshkar for her recorded work for last few decades and not for her recent live performances. can any artist of today match her song "manamohana bade zoote" or "rasik balama" ? she is aging now. so please don't compare the setting sun with the street lamps. the lamps are a mere stop-gap arrangement. they don't support the life.
thanks.

Sweet Angel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against Lata Mangeshkar or for that matter any Actors / Actress / Singers that are famous.

But then thats what she is, a famous singer. True she might have some fans but then even Jack the Ripper might have had fans.

I think she is just someone who is very good in her job of singing, just like we have good lawyers, good accountants, good con-men etc.

And for being that good in her job shes being paid very well too & I guess thats where our admiration for such people should end.

Making ourselves feel they are God, makes them pressurize the government to not make flyovers, (which could have helped lacs of people travel to & fro suburbs a lot faster), just because the flyover happened to have pass near her residence.

And then threatening to leave India & settle in Dubai if the Govt. went ahead with the fly-over is a bit too much no matter how good you sing.

Some of you might not like it but the fact of the matter remains that shes an Artist is is paid to do her job & I think if you would listen to her sing in a concert without really thinking or knowing who is singing you would find many other talented singers could match her tune for tune.

And about the good words that other have said about her, I can only say that these film stars have never said bad about anyone & all of them use the same words to describe any other senior artist. If you dont belive me just check out the newspaper for quotes when the next time a senior Bollywood character dies. The industry will turn him into a Saint who had never done a wrong thing in his / her entire life & how he was loved by the Stars / Producers / Directors / Spot Boys.

Thanks & Regards

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages (by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Contact Us:-  [EMAIL PROTECTED]