Vikram,

Thanks for responding. I would say if the person is willing to pay Rs.1000/- will not find it hard to pay Rs.1200/-

My personal recommendations are, dont fall into arranging the party on your own (I mean group members arranging everything..and stuff like that ) because if the arrangements are not good, then the same group members would come back to us complaining and cribbing...rather just try to arrange it at a place where price can be minimised and not the contents and quality.

About the students..I wouldn't like to comment anything, because they are all 18+ and when they know that its gonna be a new year bash then...they should be ready by now to pay little extra...Let me know if I can be of any help in arranging certain things.

With luv
Walnut

Vikram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
--- In gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com, walnut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Vikram,

Thanks for your efforts in detailing everything about the New Years  Party and the effort estimates. I guess you have forgotten to mention  the venue, and the feedback you are seeking from the GB members depends  entirely on the venue chosen for this event. So can you plz. let us  know where its gonna be?

Walnut

The place we are considering will be in town, meaning South Bombay, but there's another option in the suburbs, but it won't make much difference to the costs.

Guys have been mailing me asking us to take consideration on those who can't afford Rs1200/-, bring the cost down, etc, etc. Guys, I want to emphasise that we do not take pleasure in charging this rate, but if we have the party - and at the moment that's a big if - these are what the costs are going to be.

Everyone is charging through the roof for New Years - DJ, catering, the venues. If we organise it ourselves we have to pay a hell of a lot for an amazing range of licenses (we keep finding new ones we have to pay!). So the costs are real. Is the community willing to pay them?

Vikram

Vikram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:          It's that time of the year again. Just as the surely as the flamingos come to Sewri, those equally pink and elongated gay tourists are descending for the winter tourist season. Mumbaikars are complaining about the cold and Delhiites are almost dying laughing hearing them. And the GB organisers are tearing what little hair we have left, wondering how we are going to organise our New Year's party.

Every year this gets harder, as more and more people get into the habit of going for New Years parties and as a result the occasion is becoming increasingly important for the hospitality industry, so every place wants to have its own party. This year it's particularly hard since 31st Dec is a Saturday, so its a normal partying day anyway. So nearly every hotel, club and hall is planning on having its own party.

The GB party organisers (which mostly means Dee, with the rest of us making encouraging noises in the background) have been trying to find places, and to be honest, we almost gave up at one point. All our regular venues were either having their parties or were simply not large enough. Last year's New Year's party had at least 450 before we stopped counting. Many many more had to be turned away (I think I still have the scars from having to refuse two drag queens entry).

This year too we've already started getting queries from people from out of town wanting to make their plans to be here, or people from here wanting to make sure they get in. And we couldn't find a place. The few places that fitted our requirements and were willing to consider a party were asking for cover charges of Rs2,000-2,500/- !!

It does look like this will be a normal price at many places, but it was not a price we felt we could inflict on the community. Last year we were Rs950/- (still one of the cheapest large organised parties in town) and while we knew an increase is inevitable, beyond a point it doesn't seem fair or feasible to have a party. Some people we've spoken to have suggested an expensive and small party, but that doesn't seem to be what GB is about. That was when we starting thinking that this year perhaps we should skip a party.

But thanks to Dee's persistance we now have a possible place. Its large (none of the claustrophobia of Chat Masala last year), a beautiful place and well located near a station, and while it won't come cheap, it is not unreasonable. Against this it is not a regular restaurant or club, which means that we cannot count on an existing management to organise things for us. Everything will have to be hired and organised by GB.

This won't be the first time we're doing something like this - the Valentine's party we had on a boar last year was like this. We have some expertise by now in managing events, and in Dee a professional who knows this business. And the GB organisers will spare no effort to make sure this New Year's event is a blast and works out well. But yes, it will be community organised event, not an entirely professional one, and if this matters to you, please factor that in.

We are far from finalising things, so we aren't yet sure how much the entry cost will work out to, but our estimation is that it will be in the Rs1,200-1,500 per head. For this you will get six drinks, dinner, music, a large dance floor and a great gay and lesbian party space till 4.00 am on the 1st morning. We realise this price will be a substantial jump from Rs950 last year and we're not happy about it. As we said, this year all New Year parties are going to be expensive. At this price range GB's will be one of the cheaper ones.

But we REALLY want feedback. We have still not finalised things, and we're open to changes. If people feel that this price is too high and that they would rather not have a party, let us know. (The GB organisers would certainly be saved many headaches that way). But if you feel that a city like Bombay needs a gay New Year's party and if on New Year's night you don't want to be stuck with straights on every side, then is this a fair price to pay? Or do you have other suggestions?

Guys, I repeat, we really need this feedback. People we have spoken to verbally about the potential cost have all said it is going to be too high, though they haven't ruled out coming either. I was to emphasise that GB does not have vast resources to fund something like this. We're a non profit group and any margins we might charge on some parties are recycled into funding film festivals and other GB events. So please understand that we are not happy about the potential price for this party, but given the circumstances of this year, we can't seem to bring them down very much.

Mail on this list about what you feel about this price range, or mail me directly at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Vikram

Yahoo! Shopping

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages (by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Contact Us:-  [EMAIL PROTECTED]