Hi All,

Why dont you ppl tie up with times of india and the like. I have
heard that they are the most popular newsmakers. You need to make
people know about such an event so that the news about "gay
acceptance now" reaches the right people.

Also, what happened with implementation of planning commissions
recommendation of legalisation of homosexuality?

Neil
--- In gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Dear friend(s)
>
> Sec 377 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), criminalizes 'carnal
intercourse
> against the order of nature' and is used by the police widely to
> threaten/blackmail/extort money from kothis, doubledeckers,
> homosexual/bisexual men and hijras. Sexuality minorities from the
poor
> backgrounds and male/transgender sex-workers are worst affected by
IPC
> 377, as they have to use public spaces to earn a livelihood.
Though both
> sexuality minorities and heterosexuals engage in anal and oral
sex, the
> law is usually used against sexuality minorities because
mainstream
> societal attitudes are prejudiced against all things non-
heterosexual.
> IPC 377 obstructs sexual and gender expression and the right to
> life/liberty/privacy of every individual and the attainment of
human
> rights of marginalized sexuality minorities.
>
> The National Campaign for Sexuality Rights, which is a network of
> groups, movements and individuals from all over India was formed
> voice the concerns of the sexuality minorities. The NCSR is
supposed to
> conduct public meetings, rallies and protests in order to mould
public
> opinion in favour of the repeal of IPC 377. But of late, the NCSR
has
> largely been silent on these issues and the number of arbitrary
arrests
> and unlawful actions taken against sexuality minorities is
increasing.

> We feel that there is a need to take to the streets in order to
build
> public opinion which will eventually yield pressure on the system
> repeal this inhuman law. The process will also help in changing
societal
> attitudes towards sexuality minorities and will also revitalise
the NCSR.

> In this regard, we are organising a *National Rally for Repeal of
IPC
> 377* in Bangalore on *31^st March.* We expect to mobilise more
than
> thousand five hundred people for the rally. Please confirm your
> participation at the earliest so that we can take care of
logistical
> details for the rally. We will reimburse all the participants with
their
> second class / sleeper class train fare if coming in small groups.
> Larger groups of 30-40 coming from south India or those who are
coming
> from places which are an over night's journey from Bangalore may
hire a
> bus and Sangama will reimburse the bus hire charges.
>
> Following the NCSR rally and public address, *Sangama* is
organising a
> *Cultural Event* which will be presented exclusively by sexuality
> minorities.
>
> Kindly contact us with your plans or if you need any further
information
> on the programme. We apologise for the short notice at which this
> programme is being held. We look forward to your active
participation.

> Please circulate this invitation widely.
>
>    1. PUBLIC RALLY :- 10 AM - 2:30 PM
>    2. PUBLIC ADDRESS :- 2:30 PM - 4 PM
>    3. CULTURAL FESTIVAL (presented by Sexuality Minorities) - 4 PM
ONWARDS

>       In Solidarity,
>       for NCSR - South India,
>
>       Sangama (Flat 13, Royal Park Apts., 34 Park Road,Bangalore-
51.
>       Phone : 09945090302 and 080 22868680/121)

Digest Mode:- [EMAIL PROTECTED] (attachments are removed in the digest mode.
You get one or two  digest mails  per day containing all emails, minus
pictures/attachments)

Rss feed: http://www.mail-archive.com/gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com/maillist.xml

Archives are at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gay_bombay%40yahoogroups.com/maillist.html