I've almost finalised the films for GB's film screening this Sunday (our 33rd
such event!). As always I intend to do this long beforehand, and then at the
last minute I get some of the latest released DVDs from abroad, and have to try
and see them in time.

I still have a couple, so if something really good comes up in the next couple
of evenings I might change this list, but for now, in order and rough time of
screening, here they are, with some info about them after (if anyone here has
already seen them, please write in with your views):

1) 1.45 pm: Ciao
2) 3.45 pm: The Adonis Factor
3) 6.00 pm: Is It Just Me?

More details:

1.45 pm: Ciao

Our first film is usually a drama of some kind, and this film is like that, but
even the general term drama seems a bit excessive for it. It is one of the
quietest, least dramatic films I've seen, that very discreetly, even slowly,
lays out one of simply the best acted and most quietly coherent gay films I've
ever seen.

Ciao's premise might hardly seem much to base a film on. Jeff is a financial
analyst working in Dallas who is mourning his best friend Mark, who has just
died in a car accident. Jeff is in charge of taking care of Mark's affairs and
while he's doing this he realises that Mark was having an online affair with an
Italian guy, Andrea, and that he was about to come and see Mark for the first
time.

Jeff breaks the news of Mark's death to Andrea, and then, on an impulse,
invites Andrea to come as planned anyway (the reason for this, which is so
prosaic, but realistic in a way one doesn't often see in films, is that Andrea
has bought a super cheap ticket that can't be changed). Andrea does, and comes
for the weekend when Jeff shows him around Dallas and into what's left of
Mark's life.

And strictly speaking that's all there is to the film. The two talk, not easily
at first, and the reason is not language - Andrea speaks English fine. It's
Jeff who really is the one who's not much used to speaking - he keeps things
inside himself, partly because that's how he is, and also simply because he's a
small town American guy who really seems to have nothing much to say to this
really good looking -but in a very realistic way - Italian guy.

But Andrea isn't just good looking, he's also charming and warm in the way that
seems to come to Italians naturally, and he slowly gets Jeff to open up a bit,
and to admit that he was a bit in love with Mark himself - they had been
friends since college, had helped each other come out, and were close in the
way we sometimes can be with friends. And that he is quietly devastated by
Mark's death.

Really very little more happens in this film, and I'm warning everyone who's
expecting the usual gay drama that this really is a subtle and slow film. But
it is really an amazingly well acted one, and it hangs together in a way that a
lot of gay films just don't. I was just watching an Israeli one that seemed
promising, and then just some daft things happened and you ask yourself how can
people make films in such a random way.

This film is the opposite of that, to the extent that I did occasionally wish
it could pick up more traction. But then I relaxed and appreciated how
perfectly balanced and put together it was. It may not be a film for everyone,
but if you ever had a friend you were really really close to, and lost, or if
you have ever travelled on a chance to see someone you've only known on the
Net, or if you've ever found yourself bonding with someone you never expected
to know, least of all bond with... this film may be for you.

Here's a link from the AfterElton.com reviewer who's even more enthusiastic
about it:
http://www.afterelton.com/movies/2008/7/ciao

3.45 pm: The Adonis Factor

Our second film is usually a documentary, and this is one that will interest a
lot of people because it takes head on something we always worry about a lot in
the gay community, that we bitch about, and push ourselves about, and resent,
and say its not true, yet know that perhaps it is.... which is the extent to
which good looks matter for the gay community.

Just saying that they do matter and so what doesn't end the discussion. Because
then one has to ask what defines good looks - people really can be attracted to
very different looks. And then there's the question of how much one is
justified in doing to keep one's looks when, inevitably, they start to change
with time. And while they do matter, how much do they matter - do they matter
for getting quick sex, for being in a party, for being in a relationship, for
the way in which one wants to lead one's life?

The filmmakers take on all these issues, and with a non-judgmental way. It
might have been easy for them to look at all gay men satirically as being looks
obsessed, but they show gay men for whom looking good is a compensation for the
guilt and humiliations they faced as young gay people. Good looks are a source
on confident and pleasure, so why is that wrong?

But then there's the question of maintaining them, and the film shows candidly
the extreme, even dangerous extent that some gay men go to maintain them - and
the toll that this can take on them, both physically and mentally. You're
introduced to young gay men who are anorexic, living only on Diet Coke and
cigarettes, and older gay men who are Botoxed and pumped with collagen
injections - and to the surgeons and cosmeticians who facilitate and even
encourage this...

The film also looks at other ways of being attractive. You don't just have to
be the sort of ultra buffed hunk - there are also people who find bears, older
gay men, androgynous gay men attractive, and these viewpoints are also
presented. And here lets admit one of the big pluses of this film, apart from
the issues being discussed, is, well, by definition, it has a lot of really
good looking men, of all kinds, in it. One could just sit back and enjoy the
visuals!

I will say that by trying to be so open to all views, the film sort of ends up
with no particular view of its own. Its a bit of a gay goodlooks tour - here
are the bears, here are the bodybuilders, here are the Botox injectors, lets
keep moving on, but to what end? Still, just raising the issues is a worthwhile
end in itself and this film will keep you talking in the interval after (whcih
is when we'll be serving tea and samosas!)

Here's the AfterElton review and some clips:
http://www.afterelton.com/movies/2010/9/pinkcarpet-review
http://www.afterelton.com/tags/the_adonis_factor

3) 6.00 pm: Is It Just Me?

Our last film is usually a fun, frothy gay comedy to send everyone home
smiling, and this film could not have been made to fit that description better.
(Really, while watching these last category films, it makes me wonder if there
are many other gay film screenings like GB's around the world, all wanting one
fun formula film to finish with!)

This one has all the required elements:
- cute young guys looking for love: YES
- Hunky guys who can be displayed for gratuitious skin shots - YES (in fact,
this film manages to weave this character into the plot rather more
convincingly than most. The main guy's roommate is this super hunky guy who's a
go-go dancer, and his hunkiness is one key reason this plot gets going).
- Female best friend - YES.
- Snappy dialogue - YES.
- Urban locations where no one really seems to have to work - YES.
- Happy ending - did you imagine it could be anything else?

OK, I'm not going to bother going into the details of this more than just to
say it fits the requirement perfectly. More info if you need it from
AfterElton:
http://www.afterelton.com/movies/2010/8/is-it-just-me-review

More details on the time and directions to the venue below. Because of the rain
I realise people might come a little late for the first event and I'll be more
generous than usual with letting people in late. But once the doors are shut,
they are shut.

As people who have been to this event know, because the entrance to the hall is
close to the screen, people coming in and out are really disruptive, so we are
strict about closing the doors after a point, and if anyone wants to go out,
you won't be allowed in till the next film. Please don't waste our time and
yours arguing with us about this, but just come in time!