> If it was designed properly in the first place, there simply would *be
> no problem at the tree level*, because nothing would have broken.

It's possible to have bugs anytime and that's all we have here: somebody
is using the wrong alias set someplace.  We fix that and all is OK.

> So far you guys have resisted what seem like perfectly reasonable
> solutions by Adam

Because they turn off the feature rather than use it.  I still don't
understand what the difficulty is here and why you persist in thinking
that type alias set of the type of a non-addressable field has any
use at all: it doesn't and should be COMPLETELY ignored.  All the code has
been written to do that.  Somebody is trying to directly compute an alias
set instead of using get_alias_set and when you find that, you'll find
the bug.