The Embedded-C spec introduces a number of C language features useful
for embedded development.  GCC already implements fixed point arithmetic
(Chapter 4) from this proposal.

Chapter 5 is divided into two sections: named address space support and
named-register storage classes.  IBM has an implementation of named
address space support on the named-addr-spaces-branch that we would like
to merge into mainline.  Before proceeding, I would like to discuss what
would be acceptable to the GCC community.

Our implementation only covers section 5.1 of the proposal (named
address space support).  Section 5.2 has not been implemented.

I am conscious that the named address space implementation we have is
not sufficiently generic to be acceptable for mainline and will need to
be cleaned up before being submitted.  In addition, there is no support
for nested address spaces and that is arguably a deficiency of any
implementation of this proposal.  Would this be acceptable, provided
that this limitation is documented?

Thanks, Ben