This means that if your GCC source tree resides in a directory, say,
 ~/gcc-src
you should *not* run ./configure while in ~/gcc-src.  Instead, you
should create a second, empty directory
 ~/gcc-build
(which is not a subdirectory of ~/gcc-src), and run
 ../gcc-src/configure ...
while in ~/gcc-build.

Ok, I tried that, and it still didn't fix the problem.  Not only that, after
I fixed the problem (below), I ended up getting an error that way.
input.h not found or something like that.  So I went back to the
source tree build, and made quite a lot of progress.

First of all, the problem was obvious in hindsight.  I had commented
out a whole lot of stuff in configure in order to stop things from being
auto-detected.  However, that was interfering with the configure for
the build environment!!!

So I put #if !defined(__MVS__) around everything that I was commenting
out, and I was able to get past genmodes and on to the next error.

The next error was that it was trying to use ino_t in a header file, which
doesn't exist.  The way I got around this using my own procedure was
to create a unixio.h which has the various Posix stuff in it.  E.g. I have
an open() that calls fopen().  ino_t is one of the typedefs there.

Anyway, I put a #include "unixio.h" into config.h and got past that
problem.  I don't think that was the right thing to do though, because
that is a generated file.  What should I have done instead?

A #include of "config/i370/mvspdp.h" got around the next problem,
and I think I need to do more investigation as to why that was needed.

Then finally I ran into an internal compiler error which I haven't seen
before.  One of the gcc options must have triggered something off.
Perhaps it was -Wwrite-strings, or maybe the -O2 (I normally use
-Os for a completely unrelated reason).  Either way, I need to find
out how to switch off those flags.  I'll also try to fix the compiler
internal error in i370.md.

BFN.  Paul.